portrait by Jody Nilsen
Bryan graduated from the Columbus College of Art and Design in 1990 with a degree in Illustration. He also has a master’s degree in Writing for Children from Lesley University in Cambridge, MA. After moving to Seattle in 1991 and doing freelance work for companies such as Nintendo Power magazine, he started working at Microsoft as an illustrator. He was lead illustrator for the first version of the award-winning Encarta CD-ROM encyclopedia as well as the Explorapedia children’s encyclopedia series. Bryan was the 3D Design Lead for 5 years at Big Idea Productions, the producers of the VeggieTales children’s videos. Bryan is also a professor of Digital Media Arts at Huntington University in Indiana. Bryan does illustration for children’s books, websites, games, videos, ads, etc. He is also the author and illustrator of Animal Gas, a quirky scratch and sniff children’s picture book.
• BFA Columbus College of Art and Design, Columbus, OH – 1990
• MFA Lesley University in Cambridge, MA – 2005
• Accepted into American Illustration 26 web gallery.
• Accepted into Spectrum’s 10th annual Best in Contemporary Fantasy Art
• Accepted into the Society of Illustrators 2003 Biennial Dimensional Salon
• Accepted into Expose 1, a book on the history of the best in computer graphics
• Honorable Mention in the 3rd Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators contest
• Winner of 3D Design Magazine’s 1997 and 1999 Big Kahuna Award, print category
• Awarded a patent for development of multimedia buttons at Microsoft
• Published in D’Artiste: Best of Computer Modeling 2
• Digital Photography Award from Photopoints International Photographers Community
• Featured twice on Drawn (www.drawn.ca) the premier online forum for the best in international illustration
• Bronze award in the Epson Pano Awards competition for panographic photography
• Photography in the Persona exhibit at the Darkroom Gallery in Vermont
• Photography in the Down on the Farm exhibit at the Darkroom Gallery in Vermont
• Photography in the Human Artifacts exhibit at the Darkroom Gallery in Vermont
• Photography in the Natural Playground exhibit at the Darkroom Gallery in Vermont
• Showcased illustration work in the Robert E. Wilson Gallery at Huntington University
• Showcased digital photography work in the Robert E. Wilson Gallery
• Illustrations accepted into Dido, a Japanese art gallery in Sapporo, Japan
• Photography and Illustration exhibits at Dartmouth University
• Animal Gas, a scratch and sniff picture book.
• Kooky Cookery, in print, Ipad, pdf, Nook, and Kindle formats
• 19th Printing of God Loves you Very Much. (Over 333,000 copies in print).
• Illustration for an Alphabet Picture Book for Tools for Schools, a nonprofit African Literacy project
• Contributed writing and art to Drawing Inspiration, Visual Artists At Work
• Cover photography for Quickening, a Governor General Award (Canada’s Pullizer) nominated book by Terry Grigg
• Cover illustration for a math book for McGraw/Hill
• Contributed story to Parable, a Christian graphic novel.
• Illustrated Hot Chocolate for Sale, a book for McGraw/Hill
• Illustrated Barney Backhoe Loves to Build for Running Press Kids and John Deere
• Co-wrote and co-illustrated The Great Cheese Squeeze, published by Zondervan
• Illustrated God Made You Special, published by Zondervan